Thursday, September 30, 2010

Quirks and quiddities

In previous postings I have shown how my doodles were often serendipitously juxtaposed with words about political issues. Most, however, have less serious connections. Like these.



Each year, in the 1980s and 1990s, the company that owns the Evening Post and Herald (where I worked as a reporter) would give us a slap-up Christmas dinner for a token sum. This, probably from the mid-1980s, is my R2.75 ticket for dinner that year - probably eaten at lunchtime, given that I was on an evening paper. Also notable was that there was no apartheid at work. All races shared loos and the canteen, and of course the open-plan offices.



There was nothing of import on the back of this Klee-like drawing.



Another grinning soul.



This guy could illustrate T S Eliot's "Hollow Men", which so impressed me at school.



More mammoth than elephant.



A fashion designer in the making?



One of my assignments, with a photographer, was to head outside PE to the Seaview area where a young rhino had escaped from a game farm. I did this quick sketch of it ambling along the tar road.



This monk-like character - or variations of him - crops up regularly.



In need of a Workout World.



A man among alps.



The tedium of court reporting somewhat mitigated by a little margin drawing.



It may be tiny, but I like the light shining through this oke's head.



Pinocchio had nothing on this fella.



Evolution proved.



The humble loaf of bread also crops up often in my doodles, kept as I've noted before, because due to my fine art training, these are, I believe, art works in their own right. This was done on old-style printer paper.



I probably tore this out like this, or possibly drew the little horse-like shape on a ribbon of paper.



This sluggish animal is drawn around the date, 17-2-86, and under the signature of some or other apartheid apparatchik.



Another cute and cuddly creature from my subconscious pen.



The curved walls of these buildings may be due to perspective, or else the buildings do actually bend.



Again on printer paper, a composition based on the circular perforations.



A masked face, drawn at the bottom of a tabloid Evening Post front page, beside some cross-ref boxes.



Look closely and you'll see a vacant-eyed face on this bit of East Cape Tourism Association paper.



Who was Mrs Ross? Poor woman, she shares this page with some unlikely characters.



On the back of that piece of paper I found more images. This isn't the first broom I've come across in my collection of stuff. Freud, any ideas?



About 90 years old today, the EP Society of Arts and Crafts is one of the oldest of its kind in SA. But for a time in the 1980s and 1990s, they changed their name to the EP Society of Fine Arts, or EPSFA.



This landscape was drawn on the back of that strip, which was why it was kept in the first place.



For a time the GAP group brought together the top artists from the art schools as Rhodes (Grahamstown), Fort Hare (Alice) and UPE (Port Elizabeth). I bet they wished I'd embellished this invitation for them before they sent it out.



Here I seem to have explored the erotic qualities in the romantic heart shape. The letter concerns one of the characters in the city at the time, Harold Davidson.



On the back of the above letter I did this Klee-like walled city-type drawing.


No comments:

Post a Comment