Tuesday, June 22, 2010

On pass

While on pass, much time was spent either on the Bonza Bay beach, a favourite haunt since my childhood, or in the Hobnob ladies' bar at the Bonza Bay Hotel. Sadly the hotel was demolished in the 1990s.


Due to scanner constraints, this is only part of a page of sketches done one day on the beach at Bonzies. The Great Dane was irresistable. I also captured a surfer in movement across the sand and, at the bottom, a not-so-well drawn woman with a nice hollow wave breaking at what we used to call Big Left. A friend, goofy-footer Peter Evezard, would ride this wave to perfection.



I recall the guy on the left as being my late brother, Alistair, or AB. The guy on the right, though I can picture him, I can't remember his name. I like the suggestion of bottles and glasses front left, while AB is clearly enjoying a fag, which was of course allowed in pubs in those days.




This is one of the waiters who we got to know quite well at the Bonza Bay Hotel, though his name too eludes me.




The barman at the Hobnob during this period, around 1980. His name, too, is lost in the mists of time, and no doubt a bit of alcochol as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment