Monday, October 25, 2010

A new era

I moved into a flat in Lawrence Street, Central, the historic heart of Port Elizabeth, probably in about mid-1986. Sharing with a lesbian colleague, I found myself not only experiencing at first hand something of the gay sub-culture, but also increasingly meeting activists who were part of United Democratic Front structures bent on ending apartheid.



I cannot be sure, but this seems to be a sketch of Dominique Souchon, one of the many young activists in PE at the time.



Again, I can't be sure who this is, but it was probably a friend of my flatmate, Michel.




This may, or may not, be Janet Cherry, who would go on to spend a long time in security police detention under the state of emergency.



Two faces on a page, but I have no memory of who they are.



This elongated format - simple offcuts of paper from somewhere - lends itself to interesting compositions.

No comments:

Post a Comment