Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Out and about

As a reporter you record what happens in life. During the late-1980s, while on the EP Herald, I also took the odd opportunity while travelling around Port Elizabeth, to sketch various scenes.



I have no idea who this guy was or what he was doing, but he made it into one of my note-books.



Today I might have been able to identify the species of duck drawn here, but back then I had no idea. These were possibly spotted in the duck pond which gives the Duckpond Pavilion its name at the historic St George's Park cricket ground. I remember watching cricket from the "Duckpond end" before the stadium went up in the early 1990s, when there was only a small wooden stand.



Somewhere along the line I must have visited a playground, and captured these kids at play on a swing. Less than a decade later and my own kids would be doing the same.



I rather like this little toddler, whose baggy trousers seem to house a diaper, or what we grew up calling a nappy, while his little hand clutches a bottle.



Nanny. As kids, the African woman who looked after us was known as a nanny. Could this woman have been looking after those kids?



We seem to have been in the St George's Park vicinity, because this is a drawing of one of the figures comprising the 1929 Cenotaph near the art gallery.



This old gent looks like he might well enjoy a good game of five-day Test cricket.



I may be mistaken, but this looks a bit like Albie du Toit, who was a senior sub-editor and page designer on the Herald in the late-1980s.



The pirates of PE. This may well have been done in the PE harbour, since this guy looks like he's hauling a rope on deck. But how's his pirate-like head gear?

No comments:

Post a Comment