Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Concert in the park

I mentioned in an earlier post that I recalled sketching a brass band at play on the bandstand in St George's Park, Port Elizabeth, in the late-1980s. Well, I've finally found those drawings, and they seem quite successful. The key thing is the good light - unlike when drawing jazzmen in dark interior settings.



My younger son would, for a while, take up the trombone at high school. There is something quite comical about its sound.



A French horn player.



A bassoon player.



A trumpeter.



Another trumpeter.



A bagpipe player.



A close-up of someone playing what? Some sort of brass instrument.



This lad seems to be playing a clarinet.



So, too, this one.



"People come from miles around, to hear the music maker." - Donovan



Another of the listeners.



Arms and the man.



All ears.



I can't for the life of me remember this guy's name. He headed Capab in Port Elizabeth in the late-1980s, and was an accomplished pianist. I caught him in action with a leading international concert pianist (with whom he played several duets) in the Feather Market Hall.



That visiting concert pianist, playing a solo.



That same Capab oke.



An appreciative admirer.


No comments:

Post a Comment