Thursday, November 4, 2010

For the birds

Throughout my life thus far I had been pretty ignorant about the identity of the wild birds. It was only when my eldest son, Luke, took to bird-watching in the late 1990s, at the ripe old age of eight, that I too started learning a bit about them. Anyway, back in the late-1980s I clearly still appreciated the beauty of birds, because I did a few sketches of them, which I later watercoloured.



This looks like a red-eyed dove, which found a nesting place under a corrugated roof, but where I can't recall.



I can't recall doing this drawing of a view along the Baakens valley, but suspect it was in the vicinity of Settlers Park.



The valley is rich in indigenous vegetation, including aloes.



There are hundreds of bird species, but it is the helmeted guineafowl that gives its name to a long walk through the valley, the Guineafowl Trail.



I think this worked really well, with the quickfire sketches complemented by a smattering of colour.



A duck, the species of which I can't be sure, but possibly yellow-billed, though here the colours were not important.


No comments:

Post a Comment