Thursday, February 17, 2011

At the school concert

These drawings were done during a music concert about eight years ago when my sons were at Herbert Hurd Primary School in Newton Park.



Part of the charm, for me, of this drawing of a young cellist is the profile of the girl on the left.



I can still picture this young blonde girl, who played the flute that morning.



What is it about young boys? I did this sketch of a group of them, possibly in the choir, and it turned out positively evil.



Another view of that young cellist.



The school had recently recruited this young woman as a music teacher. Here she looked superb in a red French-style beret, playing the violin.



My son Doug later took up the trombone for a while, but think this is another pupil.



This young guy waits to have a blast on his recorder.



An aspirant violinist.



Another fine-fingered flautist.



The same lady with the beret, now playing the recorder.



I suspect this is young Doug on the recorder. Today, self-taught, he has become a fairly adept guitarist.



My eldest son, Luke, was saddled with the euphonium for a while.



Luke again on that euphonium.



And again.



Another flautist. Note the shape of the left hand which, though distorted, does I believe evoke the sort of contortions required to play this instrument.



This looks like someone playing a bass recorder.



Finally, a saxophonist. Bizarrely, the performer's hair has taken on a Little Richard appearance.



This is another of those spooky images which sometimes emerge. I drew the trophies on a table on the stage - and some faces on the right, which seem to glower menacingly.



This young guy had also recently joined the staff as a music teacher.



One of the dads at the concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment