Monday, February 14, 2011

Birding

For the past 11 years or so, my eldest son Luke and I have gone out on numerous bird-watching expeditions. On this occasion, during a visit to Settlers Park in Port Elizabeth, I took along some paper and a pencil.



Luke searches for his quarry.



Getting down low. On one occasion a very young Luke's persistence paid off when he spotted a southern tchagra in dense thicket - based purely on the call, which he recognised.



Not sure what species this is.



Luke blends in with the verdant surroundings.



Another park visitor, with super-short shorts.



I watercoloured these later, and it doesn't always work. Anyway, this is a shady stretch of the Baakens River.



White arum lilies are a feature of some of the damp, shady areas.



A speckled mousebird perhaps?



I rather enjoy the abstract quality of this picture of a house overlooking the valley. I put together a self-published book a few years back called "A birder's diary", which I have started to turn into a blog called "Birding About The Bush". It is available at http:/www.birdingaboutthebush.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment