Tuesday, August 16, 2011

University freedom, Ranjeni Munusamy, The Reformation, Moshe Dyan


Should the vice-chancellor of a university publicly show allegiance to any given political party? This is the subject of my first column here, published in the Herald in 2003. Below it is the response of then Fort Hare VC Derrick Swarts. I also run a review I did of an interesting novel about the Reformation, and a letter I wrote again tackling the thorny issue of Israel, along with the inevitable responses.



My article critical of then Fort Hare vice-chancellor Derrick Swartz. It continues below. (Please click on the text to see it larger.)



The concluding part of my article on Derrick Swartz.



Prof Swartz, now vice-chancellor at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, was quick to defend his position. His article concludes below.



The last part of Prof Swartz's article.



This letter appeared in the Sunday Times on August 3, 2003. I took umbrage at reporter Ranjeni Munusamy's slanted views on Zimbabwe. Not surprisingly, she later became a close political ally of the likes of Blade Nzimande and President Jacob Zuma.



My review of Q, a novel by Luther Blissett, set at the time of the Reformation.



With daily reports of the ongoing violence which beset Israel at the time, I again wrote on this issue. My letter in the Herald was published on August 26, 2003.



On September 2, these responses were published.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kin, I just happened upon your blog, very interesting! We miss you and your reviews, it is such a shame that wonderful exhibitions come and go in the area now with the papers doing very little apart from announcing the openings.... the crits used to play a valuable role in letting the public know what was on offer and what was worth seeing in the maze of events and exhibitions that are advertised. I see you mention not having cuttings of all your articles. We have been keeping scrap books for years of all crits relating to artEC/EPSAC so if you would like to make copies feel free to contact me once we re-open on the 9th January. In the meantime, here's wishing you a very happy New year.

    ReplyDelete