Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tony Grogan, G E Turley, the British Empire, Zimbabwe


I haven't used many of my art crits on this blog thus far, but thought I'd include a couple in this posting, because they have special significance. There is also a review of a book about the British Empire in the East and a couple of letters to the editor, mainly on Zimbabwe.



I grew up enjoying Tony Grogan's cartoons, so I was delighted to review an exhibition he staged in Port Elizabeth. This appeared in the Herald on September 4, 2003. (Please click on the text to see it larger.)



I recall, back in the 1970s, when I was writing avidly against apartheid in the East London Daily Dispatch, a certain W H Suckow would also contribute letters which often agreed with mine in sentiment. Anyway, I seemed to find a fellow kindred spirit in G E Turley.



My review of Robert Bickers's non-fiction work, Empire Made Me, which was published in the Herald on September 10, 2003. It concludes below.



The final part of my book review.



Another dab at the Zimbabwe issue. This wasn't dated, but would have been published around September, 2003.



I had some support among the correspondents this time. Again, Zim was the issue.



An exhibition by art students at Fort Hare sadly left much to be desired. This was run on October 8, 2003.



This time I used the Weekend Post as an outlet. This was run on October 25, 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment