Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Saki Macozoma, BEE, Brenda Schahmann, Cosatu, Port Elizabeth, Anton Momberg


For a small coterie of conveniently connected comrades, the advent of democracy in SA brought wealth beyond their dreams. One of them was Saki Macozoma. I took a little dig at him in the Sunday Times in 2004. This post also carries an art crit I did for the Herald, Port Elizabeth, which ruffled a few sanctimonious academic feathers. I again tried to encourage Cosatu to split from the ANC and criticised plans to ditch the name, Port Elizabeth. Finally, there is a review of an exhibition by scultpor Anton Momberg.



My letter criticising Saki Macozoma led the page on October 17, 2004, in the Sunday Times. I see there was also a letter of support for David Bullard. We all know what became of him a few years later. (Please click on the text to see it larger.)



I printed out my original on Saki. This shows how editing can change the nuances of a letter.



The first part of my review of Through the Looking Glass, an exhibition curated by Brenda Schmahmann, professor of fine art at Rhodes University. The piece continues below. Imagine my surprise, a few months later, to find a lengthy personal attack on me by this academic in the pages of the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum's newsletter. Re-reading this, I think what probably most irked her was that it was wittily written and maybe just a little too close to the truth. I've mislaid her attack on me, and my response, but hope to uncover them soon. Please watch this space.



The concluding part of my review of the Through the Looking Glass exhibition.



I hoped, against hope, that the fact that Cosatu boss Zwelinzima Vavi and a few of his mates were booted out of Mugabe's Zimbabwe dictatorship might lead to some sort of split within the ANC-led alliance. Seems the split, if it is to be, will instead be led by Julius Malema.



Mkhuseli Jack again got up my nose with his clamour for Port Elizabeth to lose its name. This is the top part of the article, which concludes below. It was published in the Herald on November 4, 2004.


The conclusion of the name-change article.



A review of Anton Momberg's exhibition. I remember the wonderful job he did in the early 1990s restoring and cleaning the marble statue of Queen Victoria outside the Main Library in Port Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment